Home > Jobs & Links > Jobs
NACSA - Southeast Program Manager
Click here to download a .pdf version of this job posting.
SOUTHEAST PROGRAM MANAGER
Closing Date: December 15, 2004
The National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA) seeks a highly motivated, self-directed professional with strong experience in charter school authorizing and related program design and management to establish and operate NACSA’s Southeast Field Office. This position provides an exciting, hands-on leadership opportunity to support and strengthen the practices of charter school authorizers in the Southeast region of the country, with particular focus in Georgia. This position’s base of operations will be best situated in Atlanta, Georgia and will involve frequent travel around Georgia and the Southeast region and occasional national travel. The Southeast Program Manager will report to NACSA’s Director of Programs & Services and will be an integral part of NACSA’s national team.
The Southeast Program Manager is responsible for designing and delivering direct technical assistance, state/regional workshops, resources, and guidance that are responsive to the needs of charter school authorizers in the Southeast region. Responsibilities include the following:
• Collaborating with the Georgia Department of Education (GA DoE) to create and deliver technical assistance to Georgia charter school authorizers in monitoring and supporting their charter schools effectively, and to assist the GA DoE in conducting outreach to encourage interest in chartering among local districts that have not yet authorized charter schools. (This includes leading the design, development and implementation of four regional workshops for school districts in Georgia in the coming year.)
• Conducting effective outreach to NACSA members and potential members in the Southeast region to identify needs for charter authorizer technical assistance that aligns with NACSA’s Principles and Standards for Quality Charter School Authorizing, and leading the development and implementation of a full program of such technical assistance.
• Conducting outreach to potential members in the Southeast region to build awareness of NACSA and interest in membership.
• Supporting the development of policy guidance and practical implementation strategies for charter school accountability under the No Child Left Behind Act.
• Representing NACSA before diverse audiences in the Southeast region.
• Directing effective communications and relations with other organizations, policymakers, researchers, the media, and the general public in the Southeast to heighten awareness of and interest in NACSA’s efforts in the region.
• Collaborating with NACSA’s national and other regional staff on selected initiatives, including content planning for NACSA’s annual conference.
• Demonstrated ability to design, manage, and lead resource development, training and professional development, particularly for charter school authorizers;
• Experience in identifying areas for and delivering effective and meaningful technical assistance, particularly for charter school authorizers;
• Strong understanding of the challenges, opportunities, and responsibilities associated with charter school authorizing, as well as how NACSA’s programs and services address these;
• Commitment to the purposes of charter schools in public education and NACSA’s Principles and Standards for Quality Charter Authorizing;
• Being well-attuned to the interests of NACSA’s members and other entities important to the organization’s success;
• Excellent organizational, financial and administrative skills;
• Superior writing, editing, analytical and interpersonal skills;
• Strong communication, outreach, public speaking, presentation and facilitation skills;
• Strong leadership ability, initiative and drive;
• Entrepreneurial spirit and skills;
• Skilled in managing multiple projects and overseeing/working with consultants;
• Client-focused approach to developing and providing professional services;
• Demonstrated skills and success in proposal writing;
• Self-starter with ability to work both independently and as part of a national team;
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently around Georgia and the Southeast region, and nationally on occasion;
• Comfortable and resourceful in a small nonprofit organization;
• Graduate degree preferred (especially management, education, public administration, public policy or law).
Competitive and commensurate with experience. Full benefits.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, 3 professional references, and a brief writing sample by e-mail in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word for Windows (.doc) formats to:
National Association of Charter School Authorizers
The writing sample should be of a persuasive, analytical or technical nature, not to exceed 5 single-spaced pages. Excerpts from longer pieces are acceptable. The sample should represent the applicant’s own writing (not co-authored or revised by another party).
Closing Date: December 15, 2004
Field Office Philosophy
NACSA headquarters is located in Alexandria, Virginia with field offices currently in Boston, Massachusetts and Denver, Colorado. Field offices enable NACSA to provide quality programs and services most effectively to our members. The new Southeast office will create a more visible and accessible presence for NACSA in an area of high charter school authorizing growth. NACSA’s long-term plan is to expand its field office structure to include offices in other areas of the country with increasing chartering activity.
The National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership association of public school districts and school boards, state boards and departments of education, universities and colleges, municipal bodies, special-purpose boards and qualified nonprofit organizations across the country that are legislatively empowered to authorize and oversee charter schools. NACSA’s mission is to promote the establishment and operation of quality charter schools through responsible oversight in the public interest.
NACSA has a strong and growing national constituency of members and associate members, and enjoys collaborative relationships with a wide variety of national and state-based education organizations across the country. NACSA has rapidly developed into a highly regarded resource and national voice for the development of quality charter schools and greater accountability throughout public education. The organization’s board of directors represents experience from diverse charter-authorizing agencies around the country.
Tell a friend
Printer friendly version